While in the printmaking studio a few weeks ago working on this project, I also took the opportunity to start printing the creatures that make up my second series of ‘Wonders from a Cabinet of Curiosities’. All was going swimmingly and I’d managed to successfully print most of them until, on a particularly sweltering hot day, my ink repeatedly took on the consistency* of a bucket of Hammer Horror prop blood and I ruined sheet after sheet of beautiful 400gsm watercolour paper pulling one terrible, sticky print after another.

After multiple failed attempts I decided to cut my losses and wait for cooler weather, but unfortunately not before I’d used up most of the aforementioned beautiful paper! I need to restock (it’s not as easy to come by as I’d thought) before completing the series – in the meantime these five critters have wriggled and squiggled their way into my shop

* If any of you seasoned screenprinters out there have any tips on ‘stabilising’ ink consistency over an extended period of time in a high heat environment (never thought I’d be calling Amsterdam that!) I’d love to hear them…